Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pumpkin Pasta

Let's continue with my pumpkin obsession (ok, truth be told, I needed to use the rest of the pumpkin from last night's biscotti.) We like to eat pretty healthy so when I make dinner, I try to keep things interesting but also healthy without sacrificing flavor. On the menu for tonight: Pumpkin Pasta...Lesson learned tonight: if you're not paying attention, you may bump the pan and burn your finger! Oops!

Pumpkin Pasta

1lb of chicken
1 cup of onions
1 tablespoon of garlic
1/2 can (about a cup or so) of pumpkin
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 can reduced sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons skim milk
1/2 box penne pasta (we like the Barilla Plus)

1. Cook chicken however you choose. I bought tenderloins, diced them, and cooked them on the stove over medium-high heat. Set off to the side.
2. Saute onions in olive oil until onions become translucent.
3. Add garlic, salt, pumpkin, nutmeg, chicken broth, and milk to onions. Simmer until sauce starts to thicken.
4. Add chicken to sauce and continue to simmer until sauce thickens to your liking.
5. Cook pasta according to directions.
6. Serve pasta with chicken and add a touch of Parmesan cheese if you wish.


Mike's rating: 5 out of 5 stars "Very good. We should have it again. I wouldn't want it every night but it's a good change of pace." Personally, I thought it was missing a layer of flavor, it needed a touch of something, maybe red peppers, not sure yet...


AEM

1 comment:

  1. I liked this better on day 2. I added a little shredded cheese and it was almost like Pumpkin Mac and Cheese...really good

    ReplyDelete