Monday, October 24, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Our journey through fall continues with butternut squash soup. We were looking for something interesting and different for dinner but I was feeling lazy and didn't want anything complicated so we settled on giving butternut squash soup a try...even though we don't like soup! As usual, this was an interesting experience...one of the squashes was crying or something as I cut it and started sweating squash juice. No matter how many times I washed my hand, it was coated in a layer of squash tears which made it hard to moved my fingers right! I had to take a scrub brush to my hand, twice!


Butternut Squash Soup
1 butternut squash
1 apple
1 yellow onion
2 cups chicken stock
cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic to taste
olive oil
salt & pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut sqaush, apples, and onions into about 1-inche cubes. Toss in olive oil and some salt & pepper. Put onto sheet pans (I used 2 pans and covered them with foil and a bit of cooking spray). Cook for about 40 minutes or until soft.
2. Once veggies are tender, puree in food processor with chicken stock. I did 1 tray of veggies and about 1 cup or so of stock at a time. Once done mashing, place in pot to heat it back up, add the remaining chicken stock and salt & pepper to taste.


Mike's Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. "That was good, I could do that again. I'm not sure what it takes to get to a 5 but that was pretty close."


AEM

No comments:

Post a Comment