Monday, March 12, 2012

French Onion Soup

We're not big soup fans over here but I had a hankering for French Onion Soup. It's healthy (sans the pile of cheese) and delicious. I realized I like soup but not if it has any substance to it. I don't like chicken noodle or chicken and stars or tomato and rice or minestrone or vegetable or really anything other than tomato or french onion on occasion. Anyway, I realized how easy it is to make french onion soup so that's what I did one night. It takes a while but is totally worth it. As usual, there was a lesson to be learned with this recipe. I got these little seasoned french bread toast things from the bakery at the grocery store. They were delicious until I put them in the soup, at which point the soup turned into salt water thanks to the salt content of the toasts. Be careful what bread/croutons/toasts you choose!

French Onion Soup

6 onions thinly sliced
3/4 cup sherry
8 cups chicken broth
olive oil
salt

1. Over medium heat, add about 2 tablespoons to a large pot, enough to cover the bottom. Add onions and about 2 teaspoons salt and stir. Cover the pot for about 20 minutes.

2. Remove lid, turn down heat to low and cook onions slowly, until they look caramelized.

3. Add sherry and cook on medium-high until reduced in half. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for about an hour. Check for taste, it may need more salt.

4. Put soup into oven-safe bowls (I used my little pyrex storage bowls!). Add some toasted french bread, top with Gruyere cheese (I used a touch of mozzarella). Place under broiler to melt cheese.





AEM


No comments:

Post a Comment