Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Traveling this Holiday Season?

If you plan on traveling this holiday season, please be kind to your fellow travelers. As I am mid-air right now, I feel it's important to reflect and share my thoughts on some of my pet peeves that seems to anger me more and more every time I fly...

PLEASE USE THE OVERHEAD BINS AND UNDER SEAT STORAGE APPROPRIATELY! If your bag fits in wheels/handle first, put it in the damn bin in that direction! And let me tell you folks, most bags fit wheels first! If, and ONLY if, your the bin does not close when you put your bag in wheels first can you then turn it sideways, therefore taking up at least half the bin with your oversized carry-on.

Trust me the space under your seat is larger than you'd expect. If my dog (who, I'll admit isn't all that big) can fit under the seat, your briefcase/purse/backpacks/lunchbox/etc will surely fit under the seat.

I also recommend thinking ahead. Start scouting out overhead bin spaces a few rows early. Count out which row is yours, look above it to see if there appears to be bin space, if not, put your bag into the first bin you see. It's a lot easier to claim your bag when the plane lands if it's in front of you. If it's not in front or you or above/below you when you reach the gate because of limited available space, just sit quietly until there is an opportunity to head towards the back of the plane to claim your stuff. Don't start pushing and shoving your way through the antsy crowd because you're a rude dumbass.

I could go all day but I'll end there. This holiday season, practice considerate traveling. Stop being so selfish and start being kind to others. Otherwise, be prepared to hear from me because I'm not sure how much longer I can watch people pull these stunts.

On a related note: I'd like to thank the Delta flight attendant today who went through the cabin, rearranging the overhead compartments to allow others to safely store their belongings. To the woman who insisted on jamming her suitcase into my bag because she decided to not to in wheels first (despite knowing damn well it fits because the flight attendant later turned it, saving my bag): I hope you have a rotten Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment